|Please check your E-mail inbox or spam to confirm.|
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO-UN) – An intergovernmental organization, FAO has 194 Member Nations, two associate members and one member organization, the European Union. Its employees come from various cultural backgrounds and are experts in the multiple fields of activity FAO engages in. FAO’s staff capacity allows it to support improved governance inter alia, generate, develop and adapt existing tools and guidelines and provide targeted governance support as a resource to country and regional level FAO offices. Headquartered in Rome, Italy, FAO is present in over 130 countries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Specialist
Job ID: 2200586
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Organizational Unit: FRNIR
Duration: 6 Months
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: NPP (National Project Personnel)
- The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
- Massive population displacements and insecurity in the Lake Chad basin have put livelihoods and food security at high risk.
- The findings of the October 2018 Cadre Harmonisé analysis highlighted that between June and August 2019, 2.73 million in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States may struggle with high levels of food insecurity (Phase 3 and above on the Cadre Harmonisé scale).
- The conflict has uprooted over 2.0 million people from their homes. Of the total number of the displaced population, 81% IDPs are in Borno State, 11% in Adamawa and 8% in Yobe State (IOM DTM Round XXV of October 2018). However, in some areas, the situation is becoming more stable and Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) are back home or close to their homes.
- The conditions for recovery, resettlement and reconstruction are met and many donors are supporting FAO, to restore and promote sustainable agriculture-based livelihoods for food security and nutrition improvement in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe States.
|SEE ALSO: Latest Job at Shell Petroleum Development Company|
- The Programme Specialist report to the FAO Representative in Nigeria, under the direct supervision of the Head of Office of Maiduguri in close collaboration with the Emergency Programme Coordinator and cooperation with NE programme teams.
- Delivery and support FAO Nigeria Sub office with ICT/IS services, equipment, products, systems, network and telecommunication infrastructure (including Video Conference facilities)
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Nigeria, the direct supervision of the Head of Office of Maiduguri in close collaboration with the Emergency Programme Coordinator and cooperation with NE programme teams, the incumbent will undertake the following responsibilities.
- Assist the Head of Office, the Emergency Programme Coordinator and the Operations in the monitoring of projects
- Prepare detailed status of the level of implementation of projects in close collaboration with the Operations
- Contribute to food security situation analysis, development and management of database on agriculture-related operations including participation in livelihood and food security assessment missions.
- Assist in the preparation of Letters of Agreement (LoA), and UN to UN agreements of all approved partners, submit to Emergency Programme Coordinator for review before submission to the Responsible Officer for final approval.
- Provide assistance in the identification and selection of potential Service Providers; participate in undertaking the Due Diligence process for new SPs according to FAO guidelines to ensure best practices in targeting, monitoring and reporting in the implementation of FAO interventions.
- Provide a link between FAO programme, on one hand, Service Providers and other partners (INGOs and NNGOs) on the other hand and in close collaboration with the FAO NE Programme Head, Reporting and Partnership Officer, M&E Officer, operations unit and programme teams on livelihood, food and nutrition security issues.
- Act as the focal person for the Food Security Sector and undertake the following:
- In consultation with Emergency Programme Coordinator, M&E Officer and project focal persons, compile FAO inputs into the FSS 5Ws monthly.
- Responsible for compiling FAO inputs into other sector matrix as required including GBV/PSEA, SAFE, etc.
- Compile and submit FAO inputs into the monthly FS situation report in collaboration with the relevant project focal persons and security officer.
- Participate in FS sector meetings and prepare briefs to FAO Head of Office on issues discussed at FS meetings directly related to FAO programme and mandate.
- Contribute to the preparation of the project’s concept notes and proposals and support work planning and implementation monitoring.
- Assist in liaison with counterpart institutions (Ministries and ADP) in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe state to ensure effective collaboration in the implementation of activities and oversight monitoring.
- Facilitate the liaison between the government entities and other partners
- Ensure SPs comply with FAO’s standards in the implementation of activities and conduct a performance evaluation of SPs on annual basis or as may be required.
- Assist in maintaining partners’ databases and tracking of LoAs in terms of disbursement of payments, submission of reports and LOA closures.
- Perform any other related duties, required.
|SEE ALSO: Latest Jobs at Compovine Technologies Limited [3 Positions]|
Candidates will be assessed against the following:
- National of Nigeria
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Livestock, Animal Husbandry, Animal Health preferably with the inclusion of Fisheries and Disaster Management disciplines;
- Working knowledge of the local major languages (e.g. Kanuri, Hausa) spoken in the northeast states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe would be highly desirable.
- Strong willingness to undertake deep field missions
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in humanitarian and agricultural/rural development sectors including work experience with national and international NGOs, UN agencies, governments and donors.
FAO Core Competencies:
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Technical / Functional Skills:
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- University degree in the agriculture field, economics or rural development.
- Capacity to comprehend and carry out tasks with less direct supervision.
- Ability to work and deliver outputs on schedule.
- Ability to have a good working relationship with other UN agencies, Government officials, donors and other development partners.
- Ability to conform to good conduct and discipline expected of a United Nations Staff
- At least two to three years of working experience in a related field
- Ability to use computer and data processing facilities including software, such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Fluency in English (writing and spoken).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Instruction and Notice
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
- Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
- Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
- If you need help or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
Deadline: 18th March 2022 at 11:59:00 PM
|COUPON ALERT: Enter promo code, "fsguest" at checkout to get 30% discount off premium courses on FS Academy. START NOW!|
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless futher verified from your end.