|Please check your E-mail inbox or spam to confirm.|
|NB: We have a free book for you on Aptitude Test Past Questions and Answers: Check here! You can see the Job Portal for all jobs.|
World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Consultant to Support the Tricycle Surveillance Project in Nigeria
Job Code: 2103960
Contractual Arrangement: Individual service contractor
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 4 months
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Objectives of the Program
- Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) is a major threat of increasing concern to human, animal and environmental health. Alarming levels of resistance to common community-acquired pathogens have been reported across the world.
- Overuse and misuse of antimicrobials in food-producing animals have contributed to an increasing challenge of antimicrobial-resistant pathogens passing on to people through the food chain and the environment.
- National Action Plans (NAPS) of AMR in the region acknowledge the importance of a One Health framework for addressing the problem of AMR and the need for robust AMR surveillance systems that encompasses the human, animal and environmental domains.
- Recognizing the threat of AMR, Nigeria has embarked on several initiatives to address this growing threat as contained in the National Action Plan which was based on the situational analysis of AMR in the country conducted in 2017.
- One such initiative that the country is embarking on is the implementation of the ESBL producing E. coli surveillance protocol as a step towards the establishment of an integrated AMR surveillance programme in the country as outlined in the Nigeria National Action Plan on AMR.
- Important criteria for sustainable integrated surveillance include collaboration and involvement of key sectors and sub-sectors, the ability for routine collection of samples for microbiological cultures and susceptibility testing, established laboratory facilities and trained personnel, and the capacity to analyze and report data.
- To aid the establishment in countries of sustainable integrated surveillance programmes using a One Health approach, the WHO and its partners have developed a protocol that provides a feasible approach for developing countries to sustainably increase capacities to establish national integrated surveillance systems for AMR.
- The protocol known as the “tricycle surveillance” protocol focuses on measuring the frequency of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL) producing E. coli in humans, in the food chain and the environment. The protocol aims to support the implementation of national action plans on AMR on aspects relating to strengthening surveillance.
|SEE ALSO: Apply: for Cambridge Assessment International Examiner (CAIE) Nigeria at The British Council|
Description of Duties
Under the supervision of the World Health Organization Nigeria Country Office, the consultant will undertake the following tasks:
- Provide technical assistance to the national core group and the surveillance teams from the three main sampling sectors in the implementation of the ESBL-producing E. coli surveillance protocol
- Assist in conducting regular monitoring and supervision through onsite visits, onsite coaching, mentoring, scheduling meetings and through other appropriate ways to build capacity and enhance timely implementation of protocol as per the agreed timeline.
- Ensure timely submission of monthly reports on the progress in implementation of the protocol based upon an agreed timeframe for reporting.
- Develop project indicators to monitor the implementation of the project according to the timeline
- Explore and recommend opportunities for creating linkages between the tricycle surveillance project and other AMR initiatives at the country level
- Identify training needs and additional support required for effective and timely implementation of the Protocol in Nigeria
- Essential: University Degree in Microbiology, Molecular Biology or related field that supports the requirements of the consultancy
- Desirable: Advanced university degree in the above-mentioned field of study.
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience on surveillance of antimicrobial resistance with a sound knowledge of the One health aspects to addressing antimicrobial resistance in the animal, human and environment interface
- Proven experience of the public health aspects of microbiology laboratory capacity building;
- Relevant work experience with WHO/other UN agencies/International development agencies
|SEE ALSO: United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) Grant for Businesses, Ideas & Startups/ Apply Now|
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Important Notice: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings
Deadline: 3rd September, 2021; (10:59:00 PM)
Is this article helpful? Kindly share below:
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless futher verified from your end.