|Please check your E-mail inbox or spam to confirm.|
The International Labour Organization (ILO) is the United Nations agency for the world of work. We bring together governments, employers and workers to drive a human-centred approach to the future of work through employment creation, rights at work, social protection and social dialogue.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Programme Officer – NOB (DC)
Job ID: 7509
Organization Unit: CO-Abuja
Contract Type: Fixed Term
- The ILO seeks to recruit a National Programme Officer at the NO-B level to support the implementation of the Nigeria component of the project Intensify Action against Forced Labour and Child Labour through Innovation The project will be implemented over a period of 46 months, ending on 30th September 2025.
- The USDOL-funded project “Intensify action against forced labour and child labour through innovation” will contribute to achieving the Accelerator Lab 8.7, which focuses on using acceleration factors for progress on SDG 8.7, building on promising practices and identifying new solutions to end child labour and forced labour globally. The project strategy will be guided by four markers: innovative solutions, due diligence and transparency in supply chains, strengthening workers’ voices, and social protection. These markers will guide the actions of this project at the global, regional and country levels.
- The project will intervene at the global, regional level and in four countries which are Ghana, Nigeria, Malaysia, and Somalia.
- In Nigeria, more than half of Nigerian children aged 5 to 17 (50.8%) are involved in child labour, although the issue varies significantly by region. The prevalence of child labour is about 17% in Lagos, but closer to 71% in Kebbi. Children in rural areas are nearly twice as likely to be in child labour than children in urban areas (59.1% versus 33.4%). About 85% of working children aged 5 to 14 are involved in the agricultural sector, mostly working for family businesses.
|SEE ALSO: Operations Manager at Smoke Box Ng|
In 2021, the country adopted its second National Policy on Child Labor and National Plan of Action for the Elimination of Child Labor and its worst forms (2021-2025). The National Action Plan includes strategies to improve access to social protection, education, decent work – to improve the legal framework and its enforcement. In Nigeria, the project will focus on social protection, in particular facilitating access to health insurance for vulnerable people in target communities of Ondo State.
- The project falls under the technical responsibility of the Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work (FUNDAMENTALS) Branch of the Governance and Tripartism Department (GOVERNANCE). The FUNDAMENTALS Branch carries out technical cooperation, research and advocacy functions to assist ILO constituents to respect, promote and realize the fundamental principles and rights at work, which are: freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining; elimination of all forms of forced or compulsory labour; the effective abolition of child labour; and elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- The incumbent will work under the overall responsibility and direct supervision of the Director of the ILO Country Office in Abuja.
- She/he will report on activities implementation and coordinate the development and implementation of the Nigeria country work plan with the Project Manager of the Project Intensify Action against Forced Labour and Child Labour through Innovation in FUNDAMENTALS/HQ. She/he will also receive technical guidance from the Specialist on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work in CO-Abidjan and the Social Protection Specialist of the Decent Work Team for Central Africa
- At the national level, the incumbent will work closely with the ILO Nigeria Project Office Administrative and Finance Assistant of the Nigeria component of the Project. She/he will coordinate with the Country Office Programme Officer and other projects and initiatives dealing with Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work.
Description of Duties
The National Programme Officer will implement the Nigeria component of the Project Intensify Action against Forced Labour and Child Labour through Innovation and will ensure the timely and satisfactory delivery of programme activities and objectives. More specifically, the Officer will have the following duties and responsibilities:
Planning, Implementation and Monitoring of Programme Activities:
- Design and update regularly, in coordination with the Project Director, a detailed work plan and risk analysis covering the Project implementation period. This will be done in consultation with the ILO constituents, as well as other relevant partners, in order to achieve the objectives as defined in the programme document.
- Ensures effective and efficient planning, management, coordination, reporting, monitoring and evaluation of the project; in accordance with the values, rules and procedures of the ILO
- Ensure the financial management of the project, by establishing detailed budgets linked to the activities contained in the work plan, including monitoring and reporting on the use of funds, in accordance with ILO procedures, working closely with the finance unit of the ILO Country Office
- Support the development of social protection mechanisms and tools to facilitate access of target communities to the health insurance scheme in Ondo State;
- Prepare ToRs and technical materials for the organization of the project’ activities (seminars, consultancy, awareness campaigns, training, etc.)
- Serve as a resource person for programme partners and at conferences, workshops, training sessions and meetings.
|SEE ALSO: Digital Marketing Executive at NECESSIDAD | Pay: N350,000- N450,000 per month|
Coordination and Communication:
- Ensure proper coordination with project partners and stakeholders. Establishes effective partnerships with the Government, bilateral and multilateral donors, NGOs, social partners, private sector, and other UN Agencies to support sustained and proactive commitment to achieve universal social protection
- Communicate regularly with all relevant stakeholders in Nigeria to keep them informed of the project’s objectives and progress, and to establish collaborations with other projects and development agencies in order to optimize the project’s impact and mobilize the necessary resources to sustain the programme’s action.
- Supervise the work of the Administrative and Financial Assistant in all aspects of the work
- Plan, supervise and assist the work of project partners and project external collaborators, identifying activities and developing detailed work plans with precise deadlines, in order to achieve the objectives of the project.
- Promote ILO policies in the related technical areas of the programme, other fundamental rights at work and the relevant International Labour Standards in collaboration with other technical/labour standards specialists
- Carry out any other task necessary for the success of the project and required by the Director of the ILO Country Office
- Perform other duties as assigned by the hierarchy.
- First level University Degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in Public Policy, International Development, Social Science, Anthropology, Education, Economics, or related field is preferred.
- Minimum of three years of experience contributing to the implementation of project activities and contributing to project management and administration (including meeting deadlines, achieving targets, budgeting, and preparing required technical and financial reports).
- Experience working on projects that address issues of child labour and/or forced labour, preferably in the country where the project is being implemented.
- Experience working on social protection projects.
- Familiarity with ILO policies, technical programmes and procedures, including experience working with officials of relevant government ministries, employers’ and workers’ organizations.
- Fluency in English is required.
|SEE ALSO: Job Vacancy at UNDP- United Nations Development Programme|
- Excellent project management skills (project planning, management of financial and monitoring and evaluation procedures).
- Ability to establish new and maintain relationships, negotiate with senior government officials, representatives of workers’ and employers’ organizations and representatives of civil society.
- Orientation to think outside the box and manage change in a positive manner.
- Draft clearly and concisely, both for the purposes of preparing project proposals, providing advisory services and preparing reports and studies.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good analytical skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as a member of a team.
- Ability to carry out assignments in accordance with instructions and guidelines.
- Ability to use analytical tools and qualitative and quantitative techniques.
- Ability to conceptualise, plan, coordinate and conduct straightforward research work, discussion papers, reports.
- Good computer skills
- The ability to work in a multicultural environment and gender-sensitive behaviour and attitudes are also required.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to lead work teams, including external collaborators, towards the achievement of objectives and results.
- Ability to prioritize interventions and translate ideas into concrete and implementable concepts.
- Good writing and analytical skills.
- Ability to solve problems when they emerge and find alternative solutions.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills. Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and excellent team spirit as a member of a diverse team (at the country, regional and headquarter level).
- Familiarity with standard office software (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and communications tools (internet, e-mail, Twitter).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Deadline: 16th February 2022.
|COUPON ALERT: Enter promo code, "fsguest" at checkout to get 30% discount off premium courses on FS Academy. START NOW!|
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless futher verified from your end.