|Please check your E-mail inbox or spam to confirm.|
The South Africa-based publishing press Blackbird Books, in collaboration with Casa Lorde and Eunice Ngogodo Own Voices Initiative, is calling for applications to a four-week residency at Casa Lorde, Pretoria, for Black African women writers between ages 18 and 40.
See guidelines below.
- Young black women from any African country who are starting their careers as writers and are between 18 and 40 years old.
- The residency is open to writers of all literary genres: novel, poetry, essay, storytelling, narration, theatre, etc.
General terms of the residency:
- Accommodation during up to 4 weeks in Brooklyn, Pretoria, during October (2019) or February (2020). Breakfast and basic expenses included (toiletries, unlimited wi-fi).
- The residency does not include transport costs to Pretoria, but it does include R5,000 (five thousand) for basic expenses during your stay.
- Private bedroom and private bathroom inside Casa Lorde, a collective working space.
- Meeting and working sessions with professional writers from South Africa.
- Production of a text is mandatory, although BlackBird Books is not obligated to publish it.
Application and documents required to apply:
- A letter of motivation specifying how you would benefit from your stay at Casa Lorde
- A description of the project you plan to develop during the residency
- Your Curriculum Vitae and a short biography (500 words)
- A sample of your writing (this can be something that has been published or not)
- Please indicate if you would be available during October 2019 or February 2020 (or either).
Application deadline: 31 August 2019 (the winners will be announced during the first weeks of September).
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com with the subject line, “Casa Lorde Writer’s Residency Application.”
For more information, contact Blackbird Books.
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless futher verified from your end.