Animal Heart Press, a feminist and future-focused press which
publishes new, emerging and vibrant voices, seeks poems from Nigerian
poets for an anthology of poetry for release in March, 2020. We want to
hear the Nigerian narrative, untapped, uncut. We seek new, original
poems that make us laugh, cry, explore forms that are weird, reach for
our cores, bite us in the most subtle, yet remarkable way.
anthology of Nigerian poems will be edited by America’s Elisabeth
Ferrell Horan (Editor-In-Chief, Animal Heart Press) and Nigeria’s
Adedayo Adeyemi Agarau (Assistant Editor- Animal Heart Press;
Contributing Editor for Poetry, Barren Magazine.)
seeks to publish poems of emerging and established Nigerian poets. We
imagine a space where both new and established writers across the
country can share the same platform to reach out to this earth of salt,
to plunge their voices and make a statement.
Members of the
editorial team include Michael Akuchie, Nome Patrick Emeka, Agbaakin
Oluwatoyosi Jeremiah, and Adebayo Kolawole Samuel.
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive more jobs and other opportunitiesJoin our Telegram Group here.
- The anthology is ONLY for Nigerian poets, 18 years and above. We see a
Nigerian poet as someone born in Nigeria, or whose parents (at least
one) are Nigerian.
- Submissions from emerging and established poets are welcome. Unpublished poets are strongly encouraged to submit.
- Each contributor may send 3 poems only. Please send us your best poems.
- Only poems written in English will be accepted. Works translated into
English from any African languages may be submitted, but they must be
accompanied by the originals.
- Submissions should not exceed 50 lines each.
- All entries must be submitted in a SINGLE WORD DOCUMENT, typed in TIMES
NEW ROMAN/GEORGIA/GARAMOND, font 12, and sent to
- Submissions will be read blind.
- Please ensure NO IDENTIFYING DETAILS are on your manuscript. Place your contact information in the body of your email.
- The subject of the email should read ‘SUBMISSION – Nigeria anthology’.
- All poems must have a title.
- Poems must be the original work of the contributor.
Submissions open Monday 24th of June, 2019, and the deadline is by midnight 1st of September, 2019.
Every submission will be responded to. Please do not query unless you have not received a reply by October 15, 2019.
Contributors will receive a digital PDF copy of the book.
Support & InsightsDo you have a question? Please use the comment below. We will respond accordingly.
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless futher verified from your end.