> Check your mailbox or spam to confirm.
United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfil their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: TA – Emergency Specialist, P3
Job ID: 542150
Contract Type: Temporary Appointment
Categories: Emergency Programme
How Can You Make a Difference
- Under the general supervision of the Emergency Manager, establishes and implements country office emergency preparedness and response.
- Responsible for the development, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the emergency interventions to ensure the survival and well-being of children and mothers, and the affected communities in an emergency situation.
|SEE ALSO: Job Openings at Inview Nigeria, Rielbert Development, Bliss Caregivers, Crevance Credit Limited|
Summary of Key Functions / Accountabilities
- Adopts adequate emergency preparedness measures through the development and updating of country contingency plans and establishment of early warning mechanisms, to ensure effective preparedness and response to specific emergencies.
- Participates in the formulation and development of plans of action in preparation and response to emergencies, monitors compliance of all sectors with emergency plans of action, including financial resources. Ensures coordination of the management of emergency preparedness and response.
- Provides technical advice related to emergency preparedness and response, including on programme management related issues.
- Provides advice to the country office in the implementation of emergency preparedness measures in the field to strengthen preparedness and response mechanisms in the country faced with impending emergencies.
- Develops and maintains databases on country/regional information, and ensure the flow of information and communication crucial for the planning and implementation of emergency preparedness and response management. Identifies availability of resources in emergency prone areas and establish logistics plans to be implemented during an emergency operation, to ensure a timely and effective emergency response.
- Plans organize and conduct training for the office’s staff capacity building in emergencies preparedness and response.
- Assists in developing and conducting emergency training courses. Provides training and/or briefing, as required.
- Participates in other emergency training workshops in the region, and builds up the emergency preparedness and response capability of UNICEF staff as well as implementing partners.
|SEE ALSO: Ongoing Recruitments at CyberSOC Africa, Kirby Nigeria, Thlala Kolo,|
- In the event of an emergency, takes prompt action as a member of the Emergency Response Team which is deployed immediately to establish UNICEF’s presence and implement the initial operational tasks relating to emergency assistance.
- Immediately verifies the nature and extent of the emergency with staff, government officials, other UN agencies or local organizations and media. Ensures that the office is provided with effective telecommunications facility and staff security assistance in an emergency, as necessary.
- In coordination with the programme and operations groups, establishes contact with all UNICEF staff, their dependants and visitors to ensure their safety and whereabouts, and informs OPSCEN and the Regional Director of their status.
- Participates and assists with assessment of local emergency and security situations affecting children and mothers in the locality, in conjunction with the Regional Office, the HQ Divisions, and field staff.
- Visits the location to conduct an initial rough assessment of the magnitude of the crisis and its implications for children and its impact on the community.
- Assesses the validity of the office preparedness plan and ability of the office vis-A -vis the current crisis as well as immediate and additional needs.
- Determines corporate priorities and an appropriate intervention (supply procurement, fund-raising and staff development) by UNICEF.
- Coordinates with other partners to make a rapid assessment covering priority areas as defined by the Core Commitment for Children in Emergencies.
- Establishes contact with community groups, government, UN agencies, media and other partners to keep abreast of emergencies.
- Applies the emergency preparedness and response plan as necessary, and identifies urgent staffing requirements and redeploys country office staff as required.
- Executes the timely delivery of assistance and procurement of supplies, monitors the appropriate and effective use of UNICEF resources/inputs. Identifies problems and constraints in order to ensure effective project delivery.
- Certifies the disbursement of funds, monitors expenditures and submits financial status reports.
- Sets up a reporting system and sends daily situation reports to concerned parties.
- Participates in the implementation of plans of action and work plans for emergency projects. Implements and manages project activities.
- Undertakes field visits to emergency project areas, to assess local conditions and monitor project progress.
- Makes technical decisions on project administration (e.g., activates, requests or reprogrammes allocation of emergency funds). Prepares inputs for appeals and updates related to emergencies.
- Works with program sections and senior management to mobilize donor response and recovery/rehabilitation-related funding, including annual or multi-annual humanitarian appeals and documents (e.g., pitch documents).
- Communicates and advocates on the situation and needs of children through local and international media, as appropriate.
- Identifies longer-term requirements of the emergency operation/interventions. Proposes a more regular operational and staffing structure to take over from the Emergency Response Team.
- Maintains continuous, effective and strategic coordination, communication, consultation and liaison with Government, UN agencies, NGOs, donors and allies to appeal for aid for children and women with special needs resulting from the emergency situation requiring an effective emergency response in all sectors. Identifies implementing/operational partners and establishes implementing arrangements
- Ensures that the UNICEF support is effectively provided to the government with respect to sectoral coordination within the framework of the cluster approach and based on the Core Commitment for Children.
- Participates in all humanitarian and recovery related forums and keeps management informed of all humanitarian developments in the country in terms of policies, strategy, situation developments, potential threats and opportunities/issues in partnership.
- Promotes that disaster prevention, mitigation, preparedness and response strategies are mainstreamed in the country office’s workplace.
- Prepares sectoral input for the country programme documents, plan of action, annual work plans, and all related documents of the office’s Emergency Preparedness and Response.
- Contributes towards the preparation of the Situation Analysis and the Country Programme Document.
|SEE ALSO: Federal Road Safety Recruitment 2021/ How to Apply|
To Qualify As An Advocate For Every Child You Will Have:
- Advanced University Degree in one of the following fields: Social Sciences, Public Administration, International Law, Public Health, Nutrition, International Relations, Business Administration or other related disciplines.
- Preferably a combination of management, administration, and relevant technical fields.
- A relevant first-level university degree (Bachelor’s), in combination with 8 years of relevant work experience, may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
2. Work Experience:
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive more jobs and other opportunities
Join our Telegram Group here.
- Five years of progressively responsible professional work experience at the national and international levels in programme/project development, planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and administration.
- Developing country work experience. Specialized training/experience in emergency response management is highly desirable.
|SEE ALSO: Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation 2022|
3. Language Proficiency:
- Fluency in English and a second UN language; Local working language of the duty station an asset
- For every Child, You Demonstrate…
- UNICEF’s core values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA), and
4. Core Competencies:
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (2)
- Works Collaboratively with others (2)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (2)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (2)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (2)
- Drives to achieve impactful results (2)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (2)
- Functional Competencies:
- Builds and maintains partnerships – (II)
- Thinks and acts strategically – (II)
- Drive to achieve results for impact – (II)
- Works collaboratively with others – (II)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Deadline: 29th July, 2021. (W. Central Africa Standard Time.)
Support & Insights
Do you have a question? Please use the comment below. We will respond accordingly.
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless futher verified from your end.