OCHA is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies.
OCHA’s mission is to: Mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors in order to alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies.
Applications are invited from interested and qualified candidates to apply for UNOCHA Graduate Intern Recruitment
Intern – Public Information
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations (UN) Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response efforts. OCHA’s mission is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors in order to alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies; advocate the rights of people in need; promote preparedness and prevention and facilitate sustainable solutions.
This internship advertisement is to fill an internship position located in the OCHA Nigeria office in Abuja. The intern reports to the Head of the Public Information and Communication Unit. Selected intern will be expected to serve for an initial period of two (2) to four (4) months, with a possibility for extension, depending on the needs of OCHA and the availability of the selected candidate. The internship is unpaid.
|SEE ALSO: 2022 OIST Research Internship Program in Japan
The intern will play a key role in launching and managing the social media channels for the OCHA Nigeria country office and the intern’s daily responsibilities will consist of supporting the Public Information and Communication unit:
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive more jobs and other opportunitiesJoin our Telegram Group here.
- Tracks, researches and analyses information on assigned topics/issues; gathers information from diverse sources and helps to assess news value and other potential impact, as well as to evaluate the effectiveness of information campaigns.
- Drafts/compiles a specific type or types (e.g. print, broadcast, etc.), of information communications products for target audiences, to include press releases, media packets and reports, brochures, briefings, video clips, newsletters, websites, etc.
- Organizes the clearance, production and distribution of information material; conducts photo and graphic research.
- Prepares, on the basis of official UN documentation and other sources, initials drafts of articles or chapters for inclusion in UN newsletters, periodicals, reports and books.
- In consultation with others identifies and proposes information opportunities, activities and approaches, taking into account the situation/topic and target audience.
- Identifies key contacts/constituencies and opportunities for strategic partnerships to facilitate communication efforts and maintains working relationships with the same.
- Organizes or participates in the organization of conferences, seminar, press briefings, interviews, etc.; prepares briefing materials for senior officials prior to their participation in such events.
- Responds to a variety of inquiries and information requests internally and externally; prepares related correspondence.
- Performs other duties as assigned