|🕡 Deadline: May 31, 2021 [ Set Reminder ]|
|👫 Open to: Africans|
|🌐 Host: Mabati Cornell Kiswahili|
|👤 For: Writers & Poets|
|📋 Category: Literary Contests|
|🔊 Share on: WhatsApp Facebook Twitter|
|NOT LOGGED IN? LOGIN NOW|
We are pleased to announce the call for submissions for the 6th edition of The Mabati Cornell Kiswahili Prize for African Literature. The prize, founded in 2014 by Dr. Lizzy Attree (Short Story Day Africa) and Dr. Mukoma Wa Ngugi (Cornell University), has the express goal of recognizing writing in African languages and encouraging translation from, between and into African languages.
The organizers of the Mabati Cornell Kiswahili Prize for African Literature announces open the submission for he long awaited prize for writers. Earlier, the prize was suspended due to the covid-19 pandemic and it was reiterated that the submissions sent in during 2020 will be considered for the 2021 Prize.
The Prize is primarily supported by Mabati Rolling Mills of Kenya (a subsidiary of the Safal Group), The Office of the Vice Provost for International Affairs at Cornell University, the Africana Studies Center at Cornell University and the Ngugi wa Thiong’o Foundation.
|SEE ALSO: The Preservation Foundation Essay Contest 2021|
The prize will be awarded to the best-unpublished manuscript or book published within two years of the award year across the categories of fiction, poetry and memoir, and graphic novels.
The total proposed awards of 15,000 US dollars will be divided as follows:
- 1st Fiction/Non-Fiction Prize : 5,000 US dollars
- 1st Poetry Prize : 5,000 US dollars
- Runner-up Prize : 2,500 US dollars in any genre
The winning entries will be considered for publication in Kiswahili by Mkuki na Nyota Publishers (Tanzania), and East African Educational Publishers (Kenya). The winning poetry will be translated to English and published by the Africa Poetry Book Fund. An award ceremony will be held in East Africa with the 4 Prize winning writers in attendance.
|SEE ALSO: The Flora Nwapa Prize for Feminist Writing 2021 | $1000 Prize|
- All interested writers are hereby adviced to follow the instructions and adhere to them before any submission. Failure to do that might lead to disqualification.
- Send unpublished manuscripts or books (fiction, poetry, collections of short stories, and memoir, or graphic novels) published in Kiswahili within two years of the award year to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Only one entry per writer per category may be submitted each year. Previous winners are not eligible for 2 years.
- Manuscripts should not be less than 50,000 words for fiction and 60 pages for poetry.
- All entries must be in Kiswahili.
- Entries should be attached in Microsoft Word or Rich Text format, with the title of the story as the file name.
- The first page of the story should include the name of the story and the number of words.
- The entry must be typed in Times New Roman 12-point font with 1.5 line spacing.
- Send submissions as attachments.
- The email included with the submission attachment should include the following information: Legal Name, Pen Name, Telephone Number, Short Bio, Age, and Country of Residence
- The subject line must include the words Kiswahili Prize 2021.
For published works, please have your publisher send three (3) hard copies to:
Africana Studies and Research Center,
310 Triphammer Road, Ithaca,
or preferably, submit the PDF proofs via email: email@example.com
|⭐ Apply Next: Call for Submission: Lion and Lilac Magazine new Issue|
Is this article helpful? Kindly share below:
📵 Read Offline with our Web App
|OTHER OPPORTUNITIES & DEADLINES:|
|» May 21, 2021: Apply: Mpower Financing International Student Loan 2021
» May 21, 2021: BeyGood Global Citizen Funded Fellowship Program 2021
» May 21, 2021: Study-In-USA: 2021 World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program
» May 23, 2021: Call for Submission: Lion and Lilac Magazine new Issue
» May 26, 2021: 2021 UNESCO Prize for Girls’ and Women’s Education | $50,000 Prize
» May 27, 2021: Grow with Google Professional Certificate Scholarship for African Women 2021
» May 28, 2021: 2021 Nigeria Higher Education Foundation (NHEF) Scholarship Essay Competition
» May 29, 2021: Application For Admission into Nigerian Military School 2021/2022 Academic Session
» May 31, 2021: 2021 Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) Transform Fund | Over US $500 million
» May 31, 2021: 2021 Keystone Scholarship For Undergraduates & Postgraduates Students
1 2 3 4 5 6 >
|VISIT DEADLINE PAGE|