> Check your mailbox or spam to confirm.
|🆕 New: Find more Scholarships at Latestopportunities.com|
|🕡 Deadline: Oct 15, 2023 (See all deadlines)|
|🔔 Set Reminder: Google Calender or iCAL|
|❓ Help / ⚠️ Report: Get in Touch|
Strengthening African universities is one of the most effective ways to contribute to the continent’s growth and continued excellence. The U-M African Presidential Scholars (UMAPS) program has helped retain and strengthen faculty members working in African institutions of higher education, and empowered them to contribute to international academic networks and set their own research agendas.
The UMAPS Program brings early career faculty from African universities to Ann Arbor, Michigan. Scholars are paired with a faculty collaborator during their stay and have full access to the University of Michigan’s (U-M) resources to further their work on a research project, an academic degree, publications, grant proposal, or other relevant activity. The program supports the development of the next generation of African scholars by integrating them into international academic networks, and promotes U-M’s international commitment to research and teaching collaborations across diverse disciplines, from engineering to literature to economics.
|SEE ALSO: Study in the United States: University of Hawaii 2024-2025 Graduate Scholarships (Fully Funded)|
Previous recipients of the UMAPS fellowship are not eligible to apply. Preference will be given to applicants without extensive international experience outside the continent.
All applicants must:
- Be an early career faculty member who has taught in the higher education system for less than ten years, and who is presently teaching in a college or university in Africa
- Be employed in an ongoing position at a university or college in Africa
- Be able to demonstrate support from a home institution with a letter of recommendation from the head of department, dean, or vice chancellor
- Be able to remain in residence for five months
Benefits of University Of Michigan African Presidential Scholars Program
Those admitted to the UMAPS Program will receive:
- Four to six months residency at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, paired with a faculty mentor with full access to the university’s resources
- Round-trip airfare from their home country to Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Free housing, and a modest stipend to cover living, health care, and research costs while at U-M. The UMAPS program is unable to accommodate spouses and/or dependents
- Office/Laboratory space
- Opportunity to present research to the U-M community
A multidisciplinary faculty committee at the University of Michigan will review and select candidates. Selection will be based on the following:
- Academic quality of the candidate and of the proposed program of scholarship;
- The academic fit of the candidate with others selected in the cycle-and with the areas of interest described above;
- And the support of the candidate’s home institution.
- Strong emphasis will be given to candidates from disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Promotion of gender equity in the current class of scholars and in the African academy will also be given strong consideration.
Candidates who already have significant international experience will not be favored for this program.
|SEE ALSO: University of Copenhagen 2024 PhD Scholarships (Fully-funded)|
Documents Required for Application
All applicants must:
- Complete the online application form » (IN THIS APPLICATION CYCLE, this link can only be used by applicants from the following countries: Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Liberia, Rwanda, South Africa, and Uganda)
- Upload a curriculum vitae using the online application
- Upload a scholarly program/research proposal (not to exceed five pages). Applications from a wide range of disciplines and schools are welcome; applications that align with the center’s disciplinary initiatives—AHHI, ASRI, and STEM-Africa—are encouraged
- Provide complete name and contact information of the department head, dean, or vice chancellor at the applicant’s home institution who will be writing their letter of support
Applications will be reviewed after the closing date on October 15. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
How to Apply
Go to University of Michigan on webapps.lsa.umich.edu to apply
For applicants from outside Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, or Uganda, nomination is required and needs to be completed by a U-M faculty member familiar with the work of the prospective applicant. The nominating faculty must:
- Complete the online nomination form (for University of Michigan faculty only and access requires U-M login)
- Submit /upload a letter of endorsement that indicates their willingness to serve as a mentor during the length of the residency, commit to meet regularly, and if possible provide an office space for the prospective participant
As soon as we receive the complete nomination form and letter of support, we will send the nominated candidate an email invitation with a link to the application portal for nominated applicants; please do not use the regular application portal.
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive more jobs and other opportunities
Join our Telegram Group here.
UMAPS Information Webinar (via Zoom) | Aug 31, 2023 08:30 AM EST
This webinar will provide information on the program, covering topics such as (i) eligibility, and (ii) how to prepare an application to the program.
|⭐ Apply Next: Oxford Pershing Square Graduate Scholarships 2024|
Support & Insights
Do you have a question? Please use the comment below. We will respond accordingly.
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless futher verified from your end.