The Journal of African Youth Literature (Jay Lit) is receiving submissions for its third issue. They accept poetry, fiction, plays, and comic/ visual art from young African writers who are between the ages of 15 and 35.
- Anyone who is of African descent and who is between 15 and 35.
- There is no submission fee.
How to Submit
- Submit a short story of up to 5000 words, or a novella of up to 30,000 words.
- Submit a short play of up to 5000 words, or a long play of 10,000 words.
- Or a comic book or graphic art of up to 20 pages.
- Or a packet of 5 short poems of no longer than 20 lines each. Or a single long poem of up to 50 lines.
- The submitted piece should be original, previously unpublished.
- Submissions could be made in any African language, and in English, French, or Portuguese.
- If you are submitting a piece written in an African language, or in any language other than English, do include a brief summary of the piece in your cover letter. The cover letter should be written in English.
- Format: 12 pt., Times New Roman, 1.5 line spacing and justified alignment.
- Include a photo of yourself and a brief bio of no longer than 100 words.
- Simultaneous submissions will be considered.
- Submit by mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other amazing opportunities;
- My Writing Journey Competition (Prize: $200 + Publication)
- The Iowa Short Fiction Award
- Nigeria@60 Challenge For Thematic & Creative Designs (Prize: Over N5 million)
- FCMB Flexx Writing Challenge 2020 for Young Writers
- Commonwealth Short Story Prize 2021 for Young Creative Writers (Prize: £15,000)
The deadline for submissions for the Journal of African Youth Literature is November 30, 2020.