> Check your mailbox or spam to confirm.
UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system, which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
The main roles of UN Women are: To support inter-governmental bodies, such as the Commission on the Status of Women, in their formulation of policies, global standards, and norms. To help Member States implement these standards, standing ready to provide suitable technical and financial support to those countries that request it, and to forge effective partnerships with civil society.
Applications are invited from interested and qualified candidates to apply for job recruitment at UN Women.
- Full Time
- Required Qualifications: BA/BSC/HNDdd
- Location: Abuja | Nigeria.
- Under the direct supervision of the UN Women Country Office, the National Communications Officer supports the formulation and implementation of communications and advocacy strategies to increase results and impact communication and awareness of UN Women with partners, the media, and the public.
- The Communications Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach in implementing UN Women programmes in Nigeria.
|SEE ALSO: Apply: External Relations / Resource Mobilization (EXR) Officer at World Health Organization (WHO)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide administrative support in the development of a coherent country office communications and advocacy strategy
- Provide background information for the development of the CO/Sub-office communication strategy;
- Work with the central national office to develop a periodic communications strategy for the sub-office
- Develop communications marketing strategy for high-level events and campaigns, including International Day commemorations
- Provide support for the planning and organizing of high-profile programmes and events
- Provide logistical support to advocacy efforts and campaigns by organizing roundtable discussions, press conferences, and other publicity events and providing inputs to briefing materials and press releases, as necessary.
- Manage participation of press and news reporting of these events and programmes
- Provide administrative support to the development of country office advocacy materials
- Identify and develop human interest stories and features stories that capture the work and impact of the CO/Sub-office
- Draft press releases, articles, key messages, and other advocacy materials;
- Review translations, and contact printers and other suppliers for quality assurance of production of IEC materials and knowledge products;
- Maintain library/ database of reference materials and photos;
- Follow guidelines from RO/HQ.
- Provide support in the management of the sub-office social media presence and website
- Develop and share with the central office social media messages that capture the work and impact of the sub-office
- Develop and share with central office social media assets, including infographics, photos, video bites, etc.
- Develop social media strategies for campaigns and International Day commemorations including IWD and 16 Days of Activism
- Plan and implemented social media campaigns, including the participation of influencers, and organizing of social media chats, Twitter Spaces, and IG Live.
- Gather information for the development of content for the CO/Sub-office website hosted at the Regional Office and social media channels;
- Draft web articles for publishing on the website
- Update the website and social media channels, as required;
- Maintain files, databases, and systems relevant to the sub-office digital presence.
- Provide press and media relations support to the CO/sub-office
- Maintain and update the database of the relevant press in the country, with a special focus on the Northeast;
- Mobilise the Press for participation in events, ensure reporting of favourable of the events, and collate news reports in form links and newspaper cut-outs’
- Respond to requests for information, as delegated;
- Gather and compile inputs for talking points for speech and other presentations.
- Facilitate knowledge management and sharing
- Contribute to the identification and development of best practices and lessons learned documents;
- Organize training and workshops on communication practices;
- Ensure cloud-based storage and e-sharing of communication and media assets;
- Provide/exchange information with HQ and RO, MCO, and COs.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by supervisor;
- Provide support on special web/digital/media projects undertaken by the CO/Sub-office
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Core Values:
- Respect for Diversity
- Corporate Competencies:
- Demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to gender issues;
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN Women values and ethical standards;
- Advocates and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN Women;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity and adaptability; and Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Design and management of communication and visibility processes, including with multiple stakeholders;
- Design and management of communication for development and/or social and behavioral change communication strategies and messages.
- In-depth knowledge of gender equality, gender-based violence, and women’s and children’s rights issues;
- Ability to contribute to the development and implementation of efficient and effective communications, visibility, and C4D/SBCC strategies and programming;
- Outstanding networking, team building, organizational and communication skills.
- Capacity to work with diverse partners, including governments, donors, partners, and civil society.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with people from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Ability to think and work logically and work precisely with attention to detail
- Ability to write clearly and concisely
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communication and advocacy skills;
- Ability to design and maintain a robust digital and social media presence;
- Ability to conceptualize issues and analyze data;
- Demonstrated strong IT skills; with proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 programs, exceptional PowerPoint skills, COREL Draw, Graphics design, and other knowledge management and communications software
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and in a team;
|SEE ALSO: Apply: Senior Specialist – ICT Product Category, Enterprise Business Unit at MTN Nigeria|
Strong interpersonal skills;
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive more jobs and other opportunities
Join our Telegram Group here.
- Focuses on impact and result for the client;
- Demonstrates creativity and creative problem-solving;
- Schedules activities to ensure optimum use of time and resources; monitors performance against development and other objectives and corrects deviations from the course;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities; and
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view.
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations, or a related field
- At least 4 years of progressively responsible professional experience in communications, print, broadcast, and/or media and social media
- Advanced skills in Adobe Suite, particularly, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effect, and InDesign
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, E-mail, Web-based Applications, and Databases.
- Knowledge of UN Women/UNDP rules and procedures is an advantage
- Experience in building communications partnerships and working with press and media
- Experience launching public advocacy campaigns (print and electronic media) including on gender-related themes
- Experience in designing and implementing media and communications strategies, particularly in relation to gender issues and priorities
- Experience of writing and managing content for publications, websites and social media sites
- Experience of building communications partnerships and working with press and media establishments
Support & Insights
Do you have a question? Please use the comment below. We will respond accordingly.
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless futher verified from your end.