|Please check your E-mail inbox or spam to confirm.|
UNHCR was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband.
UNHCR offers a range of challenging and exciting opportunities across its key functional areas of work. We offer an attractive remuneration package with competitive pay and benefits.
Applications are invited from interested and qualified candidates to apply for the role of Fresh Job at the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
Associate Protection Officer
- Full Time
- Required Qualifications: BA/BSC/HND – MBA/MSC/MA
- Location: Abuja | Nigeria.
|APPLY ALSO: Services Officer at Emirates Groups|
- The Associate Protection Officer reports to the Snr Protection Officer.
- Depending on the size and structure of the Office, the incumbent may have supervisory responsibility for protection staff including protection staff covering mixed movement, community-based protection, registration, and education.
- S/he provides functional protection guidance to information management and programme staff on all protection/legal matters and accountabilities. These include: statelessness (in line with the campaign to End Statelessness by 2024 and the Banjul Plan of Action), Global Compact on Refugees (GCR) commitments, age, gender, diversity (AGD) in line with Nigeria’s Roadmap for implementation of its pledges and accountability to affected populations (AAP) through community-based protection, Child protection, Sexual and Gender-Based Violence (SGBV) prevention and response, gender equality, disability inclusion, youth empowerment, psycho-social support and Protection against Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA)/linkage the National PSEA network under the Resident Coordinations Office (RCO), registration, asylum/refugee status determination, durable solutions, human rights standards integration, national legislation, judicial engagement, predictable and decisive engagement in situations of internal displacement and engagement in wider mixed movement and climate change/disaster-related displacement responses.
- S/he ensures compliance with protection standards, operational procedures and practices in protection delivery in line with international standards.
- The Associate Protection Officer is expected to contribute to the coordination of quality, timely and effective protection responses to the needs of populations of concern, ensuring that operational responses in all sectors mainstream protection methodologies and integrate protection safeguards.
- The incumbent contributes to the design of a comprehensive protection strategy and represents the organization externally on protection doctrine and policy as guided by the supervisor.
- S/he also ensures that persons of concern are meaningfully engaged in the decisions that affect them and support programme design and adaptations that are influenced by the concerns, priorities and capacities of persons of concern.
- To achieve this, the incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, authorities, protection and assistance partners as well as a broader network of stakeholders who can contribute to enhancing protection.
- Effective and timely support is provided to the formulation of a clear and coherent protection and solutions-oriented strategy, which incorporates a thorough age, gender and diversity analysis and reflects the Organization’s global, regional and country level priorities.
- AGD sensitive analysis of community risks and capacities provides the essential basis for all of UNHCR¿s work.
- The participation of persons of concern is assured through continuous assessment and evaluation using participatory, rights and community-based approaches, which inform protection and assistance programming and ensure that UNHCR meets its commitments to accountability to persons of concern.
- National protection capacities are improved through direct engagement, research and advocacy with all relevant external interlocutors.
- Protection incidents and needs are immediately identified and addressed through direct intervention, advocacy and public exposure.
Summary of Duties:
- Stay abreast of political, social, economic and cultural developments that have an impact on the protection environment.
- Promote International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Foster their consistent and coherent interpretation and application through mainstreaming in all sectors and /or in clusters in applicable operations.
- Assist in providing comments on existing and draft legislation related to persons of concern.
- Provide legal advice and guidance on protection issues to persons of concern; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of personal and other relevant documentation.
- Promote and contribute to measures to identify, prevent and reduce statelessness.
- Contribute to a country-level child protection plan as part of the protection strategy to ensure programmes use a child protection systems approach.
- Contribute to a country-level education plan.
- Implement and oversee Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities which integrate AGD sensitive procedures.
- Oversee and manage individual protection cases, including those on SGBV and child protection. Monitor, and intervene in cases of refoulement, expulsion and other protection incidents through working relations with governments and other partners.
- Recommend durable solutions for the largest possible number of persons of concern through voluntary repatriation, local integration and where appropriate, resettlement.
- Support operations’s strategy in use of resettlement as a protection tool and support the identification of persons meeting the resettlement needs and apply priorities for the resettlement of individuals and groups of refugees and other persons of concern.
- Participate in the organization and implementation of participatory assessments and methodologies throughout the operations management cycle and promote AGD sensitive programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Contribute proactively to the multi-functional teams to facilitate an accountable protection delivery keen on demonstrating results and provide input into evidenced based advocacy through a consultative process with sectorial and/or cluster partners.
- Contribute to effective information management, closely working with the information management and external relations teams in collation of disaggregated data on populations of concern and core protection issues.
- Promote and integrate community-based approaches to protection and contribute to capacity-building initiatives for communities and individuals to assert their rights.
- Support activities in the area of risk management related to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse, fraud, case-processing, data protection, and human rights due diligence at country level.
- Participate in initiatives to capacitate national authorities, relevant institutions and NGOs to strengthen national protection related legislation and procedures.
- Intervene with authorities on protection issues and negotiate locally on behalf of UNHCR.
- consult in the determination of priorities for reception, interviewing and counselling for groups or individuals.
- Enforce compliance of staff and implementing partners with global protection policies and standards of professional integrity in the delivery of protection services.
- Enforce compliance with, and integrity of, all protection standard operating procedures.
- Perform other related duties as required.
|APPLY ALSO: Job Vacancy at Google Nigeria|
- Contribute to the design of the community-based protection strategy, project submissions and budgets for endorsement by the Senior Protection Officer or the Head of Office.
- Chair protection meetings with partners as needed.
- Intervene with authorities on community-based protection issues.
- Negotiate with local counterparts, partners and populations of concern.
To apply for this job please visit public.msrp.unhcr.org.
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless futher verified from your end.