> Check your mailbox or spam to confirm.
The World Health Organization (WHO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations responsible for international public health.
The WHO Constitution, which establishes the agency’s governing structure and principles, states its main objective as “the attainment by all peoples of the highest possible level of health.” It is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland, with six semi-autonomous regional offices and 150 field offices worldwide. Read More
Applications are invited from interested and qualified candidates to apply for Job at World Health Organization (WHO)
National Consultant to Support the Tricycle Surveillance Project in Nigeria
- Full Time
- Required Qualifications: BA/BSC/HND
- Location: Abuja | Nigeria.
Job Code: 2103960
Contractual Arrangement: Individual service contractor
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 4 months
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
|APPLY ALSO: Fresh Jobs at U.S. Consulate General|
- Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) is a major threat of increasing concern to human, animal and environmental health. Alarming levels of resistance to common community-acquired pathogens have been reported across the world.
- Overuse and misuse of antimicrobials in food-producing animals has contributed to an increasing challenge of antimicrobial resistant pathogens passing on to people through the food chain and the environment.
- National Action Plans (NAPS) of AMR in the region acknowledge the importance of a One Health framework for addressing the problem of AMR and the need for robust AMR surveillance systems that encompasses the human, animal and environmental domains.
- Important criteria for sustainable integrated surveillance include collaboration and involvement of key sectors and sub-sectors, the ability for routine collection of samples for microbiological cultures and susceptibility testing, established laboratory facilities and trained personnel, and the capacity to analyze and report data.
- To aid the establishment in countries of sustainable integrated surveillance programmes using a One Health approach, the WHO and its partners has developed a protocol that provides a feasible approach for developing countries to sustainably increase capacities to establish national integrated surveillance systems for AMR.
- The protocol known as the “tricycle surveillance” protocol focuses on measuring the frequency of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL) producing E. coli in humans, in the food chain and in the environment. The protocol aims to support the implementation of national action plans on AMR on aspects relating to strengthening surveillance.
- Recognizing the threat of AMR, Nigeria has embarked in several initiatives to address this growing threat as contained in the National Action Plan which was based on the situational analysis of AMR in the country conducted in 2017.
- One such initiative that the country is embarking on is the implementation of the ESBL producing E. coli surveillance protocol as a step towards the establishment of an integrated AMR surveillance programme in the country as outlined in the Nigeria National Action Plan on AMR.
Description of Duties
Under the supervision of the World Health Organization Nigeria Country Office, the consultant will undertake the following tasks:
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive more jobs and other opportunities
Join our Telegram Group here.
- Provide technical assistance to the national core group and the surveillance teams from the three main sampling sectors in the implementation of the ESBL-producing E. coli surveillance protocol
- Assist in conducting regular monitoring and supervision through onsite visits, onsite coaching, mentoring, scheduling meetings and through other appropriate ways to build capacity and enhance timely implementation of protocol as per the agreed timeline.
- Identify training needs and additional support required for effective and timely implementation of the Protocol in Nigeria
- Ensure timely submission of monthly reports on the progress in implementation of the protocol based upon an agreed timeframe for reporting.
- Develop project indicators to monitor the implementation of the project according to the timeline
- Explore and recommend opportunities for creating linkages between the tricycle surveillance project and other AMR initiatives at country level
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Essential: University Degree in Microbiology, Molecular Biology or related field that supports the requirements of the consultancy
- Desirable: Advanced university degree in the above mentioned field of study.
|APPLY ALSO: Assistant Technical Manager at Flour Mills Of Nigeria Plc.|
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience on surveillance of antimicrobial resistance with a sound knowledge of the One health aspects to addressing antimicrobial resistance in the animal, human and environment interface
- Proven experience of the public health aspects of microbiology laboratory capacity building;
- Relevant work experience with WHO/other UN agencies/International development agencies
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
Support & Insights
Do you have a question? Please use the comment below. We will respond accordingly.
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless futher verified from your end.