|Please check your E-mail inbox or spam to confirm.|
|NB: We have a free book for you on Aptitude Test Past Questions and Answers: Check here! You can see the Job Portal for all jobs.|
Website US Embassy
The Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Mission Nigeria is pleased to announce the US Embassy Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program for qualified Nigerians wishing to teach Hausa or Yoruba languages and cultures to American students in U.S. universities and colleges.
The Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) program is designed to offer young foreign teachers an opportunity to teach Yoruba language and culture to American students in universities and colleges. It also gives opportunity to refine participant’s teaching skills and increase their English language proficiency.
To be eligible for the US Embassy Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program:
- Applicants must be citizens or nationals of Nigeria, or permanent residents holding a valid passport issued by the government of Nigeria. He or she must be residing in the country at the time of application
- Applicants must be graduates who have received their bachelor degrees in English language, Education, Linguistics, Yoruba, Hausa and Languages
- Applicants must be teachers of English Language or Yoruba or Hausa in Nigerian secondary schools, colleges or universities. Proven years of teaching experience are mandatory
- Applicants must have the endorsement of their employer
- Applicants must have an outstanding academic record and high level of English proficiency as demonstrated by a minimum score of 90 in the Internet Based TOEFL test.
- Applicants must have at least a credit in Yoruba language in WAEC/NECO
- Applicants must have an in-depth knowledge of Yoruba or Hausa culture and current events in Nigeria. They must have sincere interest in teaching Hausa or Yoruba language and culture to students in the U.S.
- Applicants must have leadership skills and the ability to motivate students in an emphatic manner
- Applicants must clearly demonstrate maturity, dependability, creativity, professionalism, flexibility, and a willingness to learn
- Applicants must be ready to become a cultural ambassador interested in meeting people and becoming part of community events and campus activities
- Applicants must have high motivation and a serious commitment to completing the program as scheduled and to returning home
- The FLTA program seeks applicants that have developed a sense of personal integrity and are original thinkers. Applicants that are found to have plagiarized in their application will be disqualified.
- The grant covers the grantee’s round trip airfare to the United States of America.
- A settling-in allowance.
- Monthly stipend.
- Housing allowance
- Health insurance.
- Tuition scholarship for their coursework.
- Provisions for participants to attend a Fulbright FLTA Summer Orientation in the United States.
- Participation in special Fulbright enrichment seminar and conference for professional development and networking opportunity.
How to Apply
Interested applicants for the US Embassy Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program are to read the instructions provided and complete the online application.
- Applicants should log onto the website, enter an e-mail address and create a password. Please remember this password because it will be used throughout the application process.
- Applicants are strongly advised to read the instructions preceding the application carefully.
- All applicants must fill out the application forms completely and attach their supporting documents online (3 letters of references, Curriculum Vitae, academic transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended and writing samples.)
- Essays should address the program goals and include future plans of teaching English language in Nigeria.
Note: Hard copies of official academic transcripts should be forwarded to our office by regular mail.
For YORUBA Please address the envelope to the Fulbright Program Officer, Public Affairs Section, U.S. Consulate General, 2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, Lagos.
For HAUSA Please address the envelope to the Cultural Affairs Assistant, U.S. Embassy, Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central Area, Abuja.
For more information, visit the Official Page.
Is this article helpful? Kindly share below:
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless futher verified from your end.