|Please check your E-mail inbox or spam to confirm.|
Modern Love, a column of New York Times is accepting essays based on contemporary relationships. Essays will be edited in consultation with writers, who will be compensated for published work. Prize is $500.
Modern Love has a central mission, which is to publish personal essays based on contemporary relationships. Although it has evolved into a podcast, a book, a TV show and Tiny Love Stories in its 16 years, this would always remain its primary focus.
They seek true stories on finding love, losing love and trying to keep love alive. They welcome essays that explore subjects such as adoption, technology, race and friendship — anything that could reasonably fit under the heading “Modern Love.” Ideally, essays should spring from some central dilemma you have faced. It is helpful, but not essential, for the situation to reflect what is happening in the world now.
The best way to see the range of styles and subjects they publish is to read the column and listen to the podcast.
Love may be universal, but individual experiences can differ immensely and be informed by factors including race, socio-economic status, gender, disability status, nationality, sexuality, age, religion and culture. They especially encourage Black and Indigenous people and other people of color to submit, as well as writers outside of the United States and those who identify as members of L.G.B.T.Q communities.
- Target Group: Writers all over the world
- Host: Modern Love
- Deadline: December 2020
- Mode of Application: E-mail
- See other opportunities: Visit our archive
- Ask questions, seek help: Join our forum
- Send submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please put the subject of your essay or a possible title in the email subject line.
- A maximum word count of 1,500-1,700 is all that is required.
- Attach your essay as a Microsoft Word-compatible doc and paste the text into the body of the email. If your first submission is incomplete, please resubmit one complete entry; do not submit just the missing pieces in additional emails.
- Essays must be entirely true. Do not use pseudonyms (including for yourself), composite characters or invented situations or scenes. There are no exceptions to this rule.
- Essays must be previously unpublished. Work that has appeared online — on another news website, a personal blog, Medium or elsewhere — is considered previously published.
- Essays will be edited in consultation with writers, and writers will be compensated for work that is published.
- Modern Love intends to respond to every submission within three or four months, though response times may vary because of the high volume of submissions. There is no need to follow up.
Modern Love has two submission periods, September through December and March through June.
They do not accept submissions in July, August, January or February. Submissions made during those months will be deleted unread. Please submit again when the inbox reopens — which would be in March.
The reading period for this submission ends in December. Find support, help and answers to your questions on the forum.
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless futher verified from your end.