> Check your mailbox or spam to confirm.
The British High Commission (BHC) creates international opportunities for the people and builds trust between them worldwide.
We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, color, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, age, veteran status, or other categories protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Applications are invited from interested and qualified candidates to apply for the fresh vacancy at the British High Commission of Nigeria.
FCDO Nigeria is looking for a passionate and experienced governance adviser to drive FCDO Nigeria Country Business priority on Governance to support Nigeria’s efforts to develop a more responsive social contract and a free, open, peaceful, and inclusive society. The post-holder will work with governments at different levels, Civil Society Organisations, diplomatic missions, INGOs, and multilaterals to help deliver these objectives. The successful candidate will report to the Governance Team Lead and will work across the British High Commission with multiple teams.
|SEE ALSO: Latest Vacancies at the US Consulate General|
Roles and responsibilities
- Support big picture thinking in the Mission on the governance and how the context interacts with HMG objectives, and shape HMG strategy and policies in Nigeria by ensuring they are informed by high quality political economy and institutional analysis.
- Lead the UK’s programming on elections and democracy to ensure that recommendations of 2023 election reports and off-cycle elections are successfully implemented.
- Support the High Commission’s influencing agenda on governance, and representing FCDO with senior Nigerian government representatives, multilateral and bilateral donors, and other Nigerian stakeholders.
- Work closely with teams across BHC and provide technical governance support and political analysis, especially working closely with the Political Team.
- Ensure that BHC governance programming (bilateral, multilateral, centrally managed) is coherent with the Country Business Plan, the National Security Council Strategy for Nigeria and other UK priorities.
- Ensure effective collaboration with other key donors/development partners in Nigeria (e.g. European Union, USAID) to maximise efficiency and effectiveness and where possible leverage UK resources.
- Monitor and review the Government’s commitment on Transparency and Open Governance and make recommendations in response to contextual changes.
Qualifications and Requirements:
The candidate must demonstrate the Governance Core Competency-GCC (Applied Governance and Political Economy Analysis) at expert level and any 3 Specialist Competencies at Expert Level below.
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive more jobs and other opportunities
Join our Telegram Group here.
- Applied Governance and Political Economy Analysis: Understand governance evidence, policy and practice in a range of settings (both development and non-development settings); demonstrates knowledge of core governance concepts, and an informed understanding of how political dynamics interact with institutions at global, national and sub-national/regional settings and shape change. Apply both political and institutional analysis to inform policy direction, deliver plans, advice and programming decisions with a focus on interaction between core governance concepts and addressing climate change. (Expert level)
- Accountable and Inclusive Politics: Demonstrate knowledge of political systems, including elite bargains, and how to foster more inclusive politics —including on elections, parliaments, political parties, civil society and media—while managing the risks. Influence and provide advice, set policy direction and programme leadership on political governance, and the strengthening of inclusion and accountability, working with HMG, and partners. Demonstrate knowledge of the role of different institutions and actors and institutional arrangements in driving reform in long -term policy areas such as climate and biodiversity. (Expert level)
- Public Sector Governance and Service Delivery: Demonstrate knowledge of public sector governance at national and local levels, an understanding of evidence on how change happens and its application for partner institutions and sectors. Provide analytical, advisory and programme support to public sector reform processes that deliver improved services for all. Including the role of public sector reform in climate change and environmental governance: understanding approaches to support institutional capacity for mitigation, adaptation and resilience and the management of climate finance and natural resources. (Expert level)
- Anti-corruption and Illicit Finance: Demonstrate knowledge of the causes and effects of corruption and illicit finance. Provide strategic advice, influencing, works across other UK government departments and internationally, and designs and delivers programmes and strategies on corruption and illicit finance. This will include knowledge and understanding of institutions, policies, processes, systems and concepts related to anti-corruption. (Expert level)
|SEE ALSO: Fresh Job at the British Council of Nigeria|
- Public Financial Management and Domestic Revenue Mobilisation: Understand the role of public financial management and domestic revenue mobilisation in development, accountability and state-building processes. Advise, influence policy direction and programme leadership on PFM and revenue mobilisation, working with HMG, country and international partners. Understand the role of public budgets as a tool to implement broader policy objectives including climate adaptation and resilience objectives. (Expert level)
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Candidates who secure a role that is considered specialist/technical, may be required to affiliate to the relevant specialist network, if not already a member.
- Experience leading programmes and managing people to achieve results
- Experience working and delivering in fragile environments
- Experience working across HMG.
Salary: USD 4,885.77 per month
Support & Insights
Do you have a question? Please use the comment below. We will respond accordingly.
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless futher verified from your end.