The Speculative Literature Foundation began giving grants in 2014. The two diversity-centered grants: Diverse Writers and Diverse Worlds are both intended to foster the creation of speculative fiction work rich in diversity.
If you haven’t been able to find a creative writing job yet, this grant might help you cover the costs of living in these uncertain times. The deadline for submissions is August 31st, 2020.
Purpose of Speculation Literature Foundation
- The $500 Diverse Writers grant is intended to support writers from underrepresented and underprivileged groups, such as writers of color, women, queer writers, disabled writers, working-class writers, etc. — those whose marginalized identities may present additional obstacles in the writing/publishing process.
- The $500 Diverse Worlds grant is intended for work that best presents a diverse world, regardless of the writer’s background.
Writers may apply for either or both grants. Please note: the central ideas of your project do not need to center on identity issues. The foundation also does not expect or want work that simply attempts to fulfill certain things but rather is looking for writing that offers deep characterization, complex cultural landscapes, and strong literary quality overall.
- The grants are designed to foster new, in-progress work (rather than recognizing already published work). We intend that grant funds will facilitate completing the work.
- Preference will be given to book-length works (novels, collections of short stories). Nonfiction, poetry, and editorial projects are not currently eligible.
- This grant is open to all levels of publishing experience, worldwide. The grand jury will be primarily English-reading, although works that incorporate other languages (as in Keri Hulme’s The Bone People’s use of Maori) are welcome.
This grant is made possible by the contributions of two donors, Ellen Wright (Senior Publicist, Hachette Book Group) and Faye Bi (Associate Publicist for Little, Brown Books for Young Readers), who ran a marathon to raise enough funds to support three years of this grant!
How To Apply for Speculation literature foundation Grant 2020.
The speculative Literature Foundation diversity grants will be awarded by a jury of SLF staff members on the basis of merit. Factors considered will include:
- a cover letter which identifies which grant(s) you are applying for, and which includes a bibliography of previously published work if applicable. Applicants need not have prior publishing credits to apply.
- For Diverse Writers grant applications, the organizers require a brief statement as to what aspect(s) of your background are relevant in terms of diversity: racial/ethnic/cultural identity, gender identity, queer orientation, disability, etc.
- a one-page written description of the project in question (no more than 500 words).
- a writing sample (up to 5000 words of fiction).
If awarded the grant, you agree to offer a brief excerpt (500-1000 words) for SLF files, and for possible public dissemination on the website.
Submit all entries via the Speculative Literature Foundation Submissions Page.