> Check your mailbox or spam to confirm.
Impact Amplifier is now accepting applications for its 2020 Africa Online Safety Fund. The deadline for the submission of applications for the Impact Amplifier Africa Online Safety Fund is 21st August 2020.
The Africa Online Safety Fund will be awarding grants to organisations that address one or more of the safety issues the internet facilitates.
Over 500 million people have access to the internet in Africa; and although this reflects just under 40% of the population, this level of penetration is 110 times what it was just 20 years ago. Not only has internet access increased dramatically, but so has smartphone usage, with ownership now at 250 million people.
This exponential increase in internet, smartphone and mobile network usage has created extraordinary new opportunities for socio-economic development on the African continent. However, this rapid growth rate has simultaneously created a range of safety concerns, including:
- Identify theft
- Bullying and harassment
- Sex trafficking
- Hate crimes
- Terrorist recruitment and promotion
- Mis or disinformation
- Financial scams
To address these issues, the Africa Online Safety Fund, with support from Google.org, has been established to support innovative existing and new solutions to these challenges. While not exclusively focused, the Fund will be favouring solutions, which address women and children’s online safety specifically, as they are the most targeted communities in this regard.
Impact Amplifier Africa Online Safety Fund Eligibility.
- Applicants can be public benefit organisations, private or from the public sector. No individual applicants will be considered.
- The Fund is open to organisations throughout Africa, but is prioritising Nigeria, South Africa, Kenya, Senegal, Ethiopia and the Ivory Coast.
- Only completed applications will be considered.
Impact Amplifier Africa Online Safety Fund Benefits.
There are two categories of funding: Transformative and Catalytic. A $1,000,000 commitment has been made to address online safety issues in Africa.
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to receive more jobs and other opportunities
Join our Telegram Group here.
- The Transformative projects are intended to be larger in scale, reach multiple geographies and or potentially large numbers of beneficiaries, and be scalable as a solution. The Transformative grants will be a maximum of $100,000.
- The Catalytic projects are intended to be smaller, targeted, and potentially only locally or culturally specific. The Catalytic Grants will be a maximum of $10,000.
Impact Amplifier Africa Online Safety Fund Selection Criteria.
The primary criteria that will be used to select successful applicants, includes:
- Innovation and Replication: What is the level of novelty in the intervention/service? Can it function as a model for other interventions? Does it replicate other successful online safety interventions from different geographies?
- Social Impact: What is the scale of the online safety problem being addressed? What is the potential social impact of the intervention? What is the potential impact if the intervention is scaled beyond the current plan? Can it in fact be ramped up? (Is it cost effective, sustainable, and replicable?)
- Potential for Success: How likely is the intervention to achieve its stated goals?
- Management Team: What is the strength and experience of the management team and the precedent set by the team in terms of cooperation, achieving goals, and beneficiaries served?
- Financial Efficiency: Is the funding requested an efficient use of resources? How does the amount requested, scope of the problem to be addressed, and beneficiaries to be reached compare to other applicants?
- Sustainability: Can the intervention planned become financially sustainable beyond this grant? If so, how and to what scale?
How to Apply for Impact Amplifier Africa Online Safety Fund.
The first phase of the application process is open from July 17 to August 21, 2020. The shortlisted applicants will be announced by September 7. The finalists will be selected by October 8, 2020.
Support & Insights
Do you have a question? Please use the comment below. We will respond accordingly.
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless futher verified from your end.