Brittle paper releases final list of winners after weeks of rigorous editorial work by the judges. 31 pieces were shorlisted for this year's edition, from which 5 winners were selected. According to them,
"The Brittle Paper Awards is our way of recognizing the finest, original pieces of literature by Africans available online for free. We began it in 2017 to mark our seventh anniversary. The $1,100 cash prize is spread across five categories which reflect our efforts to capture the range and variations of literary dialogue on the continent: the Brittle Paper Award for Fiction ($200), the Brittle Paper Award for Poetry ($200), the Brittle Paper Award for Creative Nonfiction ($200), the Brittle Paper Award for Essays & Think Pieces ($200), and the Brittle Paper Anniversary Award ($300) for writing published on our blog.
Here are the winners of the five categories:
1. The Brittle Paper Award for Creative Nonfiction ($200): "The Miseducation of Gratitude" by Sibongile Fisher
Is this article helpful? Kindly share below:
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless futher verified from your end.
|Sibongile Fisher. Photo credit: Mlungisi Mlungwana.|
2. The Brittle Paper Award for Poetry ($200): "A Field, any Field" by Itiola Jones
|Itiola Jones. Photo credit: Nicholas Nichols|
3. The Brittle Paper Award for Fiction ($200): "Involution" by Stacy Hardy
|Stacy Hardy. Photo credit: Aryan Kaganof.|
4. The Brittle Paper Award for Essays & Think Pieces ($200): "History Through the Body or Rights of Desire, Rights of Conquest" by Panashe Chigumadzi
|Panashe Chigumadzi. Photo credit: Tarryn Hatchet.|
5. The Brittle Paper Anniversary Award ($300): “On Postcolonial Theory” by Shailja Patel
|Photo credit: Wairimu Muriithi.|
For more details about the winners, and reviews about the winning pieces, click here