Following the recently released Longlist of the 2019 Punocracy Prize for Satire, the Jury have come up with top 20 shortlisted entries.
In no particular order (other than the randomly assigned contestant numbers used to aid an objective assessment), here they are:
1. A Few Notes on Governance in Nigeria by Modupeoluwa Abidakun.
2. A Proposal for an Instructional Manual on Practising Religion in Nigeria by Moyosore Sheriff Quadri.
3. A Day in the Life of a Kafayan Legislator by Obi Joy Ogechi.
4. Marital Rapists are Like Bras; Here’s Why You Should Love Them by Ayodimeji Ameenat.
5. Because You are Alive by Funmilayo Obasa.
6. Becoming a Privileged Nigerian by Mazpa Ekejiuba Ejikem.
7. Dear Baba by Raheem Hammed Gbolahan.
8. A Certain Nigerian Highway by Moghalu Jennifer Chinwendu.
9. How to Become a Millionaire in Nigeria by Omoya Simult.
10. Let the Good Works Continue by Winlade Isreal.
11. Our Lord’s Prayer by Ololade Akinlabi Ige.
12. Members of ASUU on Strike over Concern for Students by Hamzat Mariam.
13. Nigerian Creation Story by Aliogo Chika Eunice.
14. Open Letter to Mr President: Let’s Talk About the Muhammadu Buhari University by Abdurrahman Bello Onifade.
15. Surviving Nigerian Universities: A Soft Manual by Salaudeen, Hawau Oluwakemi.
16. Satire 101: Introduction to Wife Battery and Assault by Timothy Edaki.
17. Solution Centre by Abah, Abah Oyagaba.
18. The Lord’s Prayer by Abraham Isaac Oluwatimilehin.
19. When You Speak of Africa by Jesuferanmi Igbinigie.
20. Macpherson Farm by Tekena Charles Banigo IV.
The winners of the maiden edition of the prize will be announced later this month and the award ceremony has been scheduled to take place in the ancient city of Ibadan in November.
Dissemination of information has been made easier and more accessible. Meaning you can now get latest opportunities & updates directly on WhatsApp and Telegram (none of these is a group so no unnecessary messages/disturbance). Click below to join.