The black mountain institute invites application for residential fellowship for the 2021-22 academic year. Fellows will join a community of creative writers and scholars in a thriving literary scene in Las Vegas and on campus of UNLV.
There are no formal teaching requirements, but this is a ‘working fellowship’. BMI visiting fellows will maintain a regular in-office presence, around 10 hours a week, along with 10 hours of service to community.
- Candidates who have published at least one book
- There is no application fee
- No age restrictions
- A stipend of $20,000 paid over four-month period
- A semester long letter of appointment
- Eligibility for health coverage
- Office space in the BMI offices on the campus of UNLV
- Free housing in a unique and vibrant arts complex in the bustling district of downtown Las Vegas- home to the Writer’s block, our city’s beloved independent bookstore; and
- Recognition in BMI’s literature and on the Believer’s masthead as a “shearing fellow”
Upon acceptance into the program, each fellow will craft a work plan in partnership with BMI program’s manager that is meaningful to all involved parties. Some examples of activities a visiting could pursue include;
- Offer readings, craft talks, and other public presentations to the readers and writers of UNLV and Southern Nevada.
- Curate an event or program, leveraging the fellows’ professional and creative networks.
- Contribute original work to The Believer (i.e., a column or feature essay, or occasional work such as lists, or entries in “Notes & Apologies”).
- Provide editorial support to The Believer (edit essays, conduct an interview, consult on editorial conversations).
- Assist with headlines, blurbs, and occasional Twitter campaigns; offer opinion on drafts and other editorial concerns that arise in the life of a literary institution.
How to submit
Submission guidelines include;
- A one or two-page cover letter which should include;
Who you are
Why you want to be part of the Las Vegas lit community
What you will be working on in terms of the writing projects
What you would like to do for your service hours
- A writing sample (10 pages, double spaced, 12 pt.)
- A resume or CV
- Application is via submittable
Finalists will be asked to send their copies of their books (Applicants must have at least one book published by a trade press). Candidates will be selected by the staff and community members of the BMI and the Believer.
Is this article helpful? Kindly share below:
📱 Read Offline with our Web App