The Society of Young Nigerian Writers (Anambra State Chapter) is seeking submissions of quality poems and essays from writers across the world, for her 5th Chinua Achebe Poetry/Essay Anthology.
The annual anthology is published in honour and memory of Late Prof. Chinua Achebe, a foremost Nigerian literary legend and the father of morden African Literature. The prestigious anthology will (as usual) be unveiled at the 5th edition of Chinua Achebe Literary Festival which is slated to hold on 16th November 2020, at the Anambra State Central E-Library (also known as Prof. Kenneth Dike Central E-Library), in south-eastern Nigeria.
According to the Project Coordinator, Izunna Okafor, who is also the Coordinator of Society of Young Nigerian Writers in Anambra State, Chinua Achebe Literary Festival is an annual literary festival held by Society of Young Nigerian Writers in memory and honour of Achebe, in celebration of his life, works, contributions and legacies in the literary field. The event, he notes, was initiated in 2016, and holds on Achebe's date of birth since then, with the last edition held in 2019, during which the most recent edition of the anthology Chinua Achebe Essay/Poetry Anthology —"Arrows of Words" —was unveiled.
It is with a view to mark this year's edition of the Festival in a more remarkable and memorable way that the organizers are calling for quality poems and essays from burgeoning and accomplished writers to enter their thematically-articulated essays and poetry in memory of Achebe for the fifth anthology. The anthology is in honour of Prof. Chinua Achebe; hence, only entries that revolve around Achebe, his works, his literary prowess and legacies will be accepted for publication.
- Only essays and poems are accepted for the anthology
- Entrant must specify the genre of his entry, that is, specify whether it is Poetry or Essay
- The essays and poems MUST be in the memory of Chinua Achebe, and may focus on his life, works personality, writing style or other areas.
- The essays or poems should be brief and concise —a maximum of 500 words for essays or reviews, and a maximum of 30 lines for poetry.
- Author’s information —location/contact address, phone number, e-mail address, and a short bio of no more than 40 words should be included in the submission.
- Submission is FREE and open to writers from any part of the world.
- Entry MUST be the original work of the author/poet.
- Only one entry per person is allowed.
- Entrant may choose/write on any interesting title of his/her choice.
- Entries should be sent to email@example.com, with the subject "FIFTH CHINUA ACHEBE ESSAY/POETRY ANTHOLOGY (SPECIFY THE GENRE OF YOUR ENTRY)"
- Entry MUST be type-written and sent in the body of the mail; NOT AS AN ATTACHMENT. Entries sent as attachment will be automatically disqualified.
- Submission Deadline: 20th October 2020. Late Entry will not be accepted.
- Entries could be written in English or Igbo Language.
- All successful/shortlisted essays and poetry will be published in the Fifth Chinua Achebe Poetry/Essay Anthology (soft and hard copies).
- Online promotion of successful/published essays and poems and the entrants.
- All successful entrants shall receive Certificate of Participation.
- Each successful entrant is entitled to author's copy of the published anthology
- Authors/poets of the best ten essays and poems shall be given outstanding recognitions and Certificate of Award at the 2020 Chinua Achebe Literary Festival.
- Entrants (if present at the event) shall be allowed to present their essays/poems at the event.
- Automatic/free membership and admission into the the Society of Young Nigerian Writers (for successful/published young Nigerian entrants.)
LEVEL: Essayists & Poets
PRIZE: Certificate of Award
HOST: Society of Young Nigerian Writers
DEADLINE: 20th October 2020
REMINDER: Support Room
Send entries to firstname.lastname@example.org. For inquiries or support, contact: