As Muslims proceed with Ramadan, it's important to highlight the health benefits of fasting.
Analyzed in this article are health benefits of fasting which includes but not limited to cancer prevention, weight loss, delay in ageing etc. This is how beneficial fasting can be to your health.
According to Wikipedia, "Fasting is the willful refrainment from eating for a period of time. In a physiological context, fasting may refer to the metabolic status of a person who has not eaten overnight, or to the metabolic state achieved after complete digestion and absorption of a meal. Several metabolic adjustments occur during fasting."
Three days ago, we published an article which gives insight into fatal health conditions that can we worsened with intermittent fasting. In the article, we highlighted the risks associated with fasting. You can check it out here.
However, there is nothing with cons without pros. This is what brings about this article which will inform you about the health benefits of fasting. @wakawaka_doctor, a Public& Mental Health professional has this to say:
Fasting has been done for ages and most people use it as a quick weight loss strategy. After all, Beyonce did it. She said she lost 20 pounds by fasting for her role in Dreamgirls. But what about the rest of us mortals? Any healthy Benefits from fasting?
Here are the most common types of fasting:
- Water fasting: Involves drinking only water Juice fasting: Entails only drinking fruit juice
- Intermittent fasting: Intake is partially or completely restricted
- Partial fasting: Certain foods or drinks are restricted from diet.
Health benefits of fasting :
- Aids Weight Loss by Limiting Calorie Intake and Boosting Metabolism
- May Boost Brain Function and Prevent Neurodegenerative Disorder
- Could Delay Aging and Extend Longevity
- May Aid in Cancer Prevention and Increase the Effectiveness of Chemotherapy
Despite the long list of possible health benefits associated with fasting, it may not be right for everyone. If you suffer from diabetes or low blood sugar, fasting can lead to spikes and crashes in your blood sugar levels, which could be dangerous.
If you decide to try fasting, be sure to stay well-hydrated and fill your diet with nutrient-dense foods during your eating periods to maximize the potential health benefits.