The K and L prize, founded and sponsored by New Zealand based Nigerian writer, Myles Ojabo, awards $1000 to the best piece of unpublished fiction. You can now send in your short story entries on the theme, Madness.
The inaugural edition was awarded to South African writer, Sisca Julius, for her story, Honey Bee. The second edition was awarded to Nigerian writer, Kanyisola Olorunnisola, for his story, Abija, the Architect of Mayhem.
Theme for The K & L Prize 2021
Madness (The term could mean insanity or aberrant behaviour, depending on how the writer interprets it.)
Eligibility for K & L Prize 2021
- Only African writers are eligible to submit
- Writers must be between 18 and 25 years of age
- No entry fee
- Stories should be centred on the theme
Submission Guidelines for the K & L Prize
- Entries must not have been previously published.
- Email subject should have the name of the short stories, age of the applicant, and ‘2021 K and L prize’.
- Submissions must be in English and should reflect the theme, ‘Madness’.
- Only one entry per writer is allowed.
- Judges are Sisca Julius, Su’ur Agema and Myles Ojabo.
- Stories must not be more than 2000 words.
- The submission should be in Microsoft Word.
- Entries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prize for the K & L Prize 2021
- $1000 (New Zealand)
- Publication for longlisted stories
- Free e-copy of Anthology for all longlisted writers
Related literary contests
- The Previously Published Poem Prize | Submit your previously published poems and win up to $3000
- Call for Submissions: Nigerian Newsdirect Poetry Prize 2020 | N150,000
- Stephen A. Dibiase 6th Annual Poetry Prize | Payment: $1400
- Dread Machine Anthology Submission | Prize: $800, Publication
- EPOCH Magazine Submission | Payment: $50 per poem, $150 per story
Terms & Conditions
By Submitting to K & L Prize 2021, Entrants Agree to the Following Requirements;
- Only the winner is entitled to have the cash prize of 1000 New Zealand dollars. In the case where there are joint winners, the prize money will be shared.
- Writers that eventually make the longlist are required to submit a copy of their birth certificate.
- Stories of writers on the longlist would be publicized and published in the K and L Anthology: Full Moon.
- Every writer on the longlist will get a free e-copy of the anthology.
- Writers that eventually make the shortlist would be offered an interview session.
- Writers that make the shortlist would be asked to submit their photos and other information necessary for publicising the prize.
- All finances raised from sales of the anthology would go towards funding and developing the K and L Prize.
- The decisions of the judges’ entries are final.
How to Submit
While you SHARE this opportunity with FRIENDS, please FOLLOW us on Twitter, Facebook and Telegram.
Is this article helpful? Kindly share below:
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless futher verified from your end.