|Please check your E-mail inbox or spam to confirm.|
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Analyst
Job Identification: 2255
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job Schedule: Full time
Vacancy Type: Fixed Term
Contract Duration: 1 Year
Practice Area: Management
|SEE ALSO: Entry Level Jobs at Oxfam Nigeria [2 Positions]|
- Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Finance Analyst (NOB), the Finance Analyst is responsible for the effective and transparent utilization of financial resources and the integrity of financial services.
- The Finance Analyst promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
- He/she analyzes and interprets the financial rules and regulations and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex financial issues. The Finance Analyst promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
Duties & Responsibilities
- The Finance Analyst works in close collaboration with the operations, programme, and project teams in the Country Office (CO) and with UNDP HQs staff and Government officials ensuring successful Country Office (CO) performance in Finance.
- Implementation of operational and financial management strategies
- Projects’ budget management
- CO cash management
- Control of CO accounts
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
- Ensures implementation of operational and financial management strategies, and adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, and policies of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and follow up on audit recommendations; implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system.
- CO Finance business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance under the supervision of the Finance Specialist
- Continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for development and management projects, monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions.
- Analysis and elaboration of proposals on cost-saving and reduction strategies.
- Ensures the management of projects’ budgets and organization and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Elaboration of proposals for the planning of financial resources of the CO, preparation of reports containing analysis of the financial situation.
- Preparation and monitoring of budgets; regular analysis and reporting on the budget approvals and the delivery situation.
- Establishment of projects’ budgets preparation/modification monitoring system, control of budgetary status versus authorized spending limits (ASL), and budgets delivery levels.
- Implementation of the control mechanism for projects through monitoring budgets preparation and modifications, budgetary status versus ASL, follow-up with HQs on ASL for projects, maintenance of General Ledger.
|SEE ALSO: Job Vacancy at Dana Group [3 Positions]|
Ensures proper control of CO accounts focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis and elaboration of proposals for the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; payrolls are duly prepared; MPOs, travel claims, and other entitlements are duly processed, and receipting of goods and services and establishment of accruals are properly done in compliance with IPSAS and UNDP policies and procedures.
- Control of accounts closure
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Control of the Accounts Receivables for UNDP projects and maintenance of General Ledger.
- Ensures proper CO cash management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Timely preparation of monthly cash flow forecast for use by the supervisor.
- Acts as a cashier for onsite transactions.
- Daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in Atlas to monitor imprest level; identification and recording of contributions.
- Initiation of bank transfers and deals, selecting bank transfers and deals for approval and settlement.
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO and guidance to all stakeholders on financial matters focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization/conduct of training for the operations/ programme/projects staff on financial management.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in Finance.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Advanced (Masters) University Degree in Finance / Accounting, Business or Public Administration, or a professional accounting qualification from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy.
- Professionally qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- Long-listed candidates may be required to undergo the UNDP Advanced Accountancy & Finance Test (AAFT).
|SEE ALSO: Analyst at Standard Chartered Bank|
- A minimum of one year’s relevant experience is desirable in providing financial management services, managing staff, and operational systems.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft.
- Experience of IPSAS and/or IFRS is required for external candidates.
- Achieve Results: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by the deadline
- Think Innovatively: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem-solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
- Adapt with Agility: Open-minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Act with Determination: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Engage and Partner: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: Appreciate/respect differences, be aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Functional & Technical competencies
- Business Direction & Strategy – Strategic Thinking: Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks, and opportunities; linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions. Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond to future trends; to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and possible ways forward look like for UNDP.
- Business Direction & Strategy – Communication: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise, and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience. Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media, and other appropriate channels.
- Business Direction & Strategy – Integration within the UN: Ability to identify, and integrate capacity and assets of the UN system, and engage in joint work; knowledge of the UN System and ability to apply this knowledge to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Business Direction & Operations Management: Ability to effectively plan, organize, and oversee the Organization’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner. Knowledge of relevant concepts and mechanisms.
- Business Direction & Strategy – Business Acumen: Ability to understand and deal with a business situation in a manner that is likely to lead to a good outcome. Knowledge and understanding of the operational frameworks in the organization and ability to make good judgments and quick decisions within such frameworks.
- Business Direction & Strategy – Entrepreneurial Thinking: Ability to create clarity around UNDP value proposition to beneficiaries and partners and to develop service offers responding to client needs to be based on UNDP’s organizational priorities and mandate
- Business Direction & Strategy – Effective Decision Making: Ability to make decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise, and resources.
- UNDP People Management Competencies can be found on the dedicated site.
|SEE ALSO: Customer Service Intern at George Houston Resources Limited|
- Fluency in oral and written English is required
Impact of results:
- The key results have an impact on the overall CO efficiency in financial resources management and success in the introduction and implementation of operational strategies.
- Accurate, thoroughly researched, and documented financial information, timely and appropriate delivery of services ensure client satisfaction and enhance UNDP credibility in the use of financial resources.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply
Important Note: Candidates selected pursuant to this vacancy may be subject to UNDP’s policy on Probation upon assignment
Deadline: 14th February 2022. at 05:59 AM
DISCLAIMER: Do not pay or release sensitive financial details to any organizer/recruiter unless futher verified from your end.